Monday 24 August 2009

Back up!

Normally I am pretty good at saving work.
At home I have 4 x 500gig and 2 x 200gig hard drives that I save to, mostly over night. The smaller drives are used to ferry work to and from the office and as short term back ups.
A couple of weeks ago I modelled an alternative PGA wagon, mapped it and saved it. Then, through a comedy of errors I managed to delete the file from 2 places on my work pc.

Now I know I rendered it so it meant it would be in a lighting rig file.
When I bring a max model into a lighting rig for render I always save the max file, just change the name, _131 to _132 for example.

These files get back up on various drives so it was only a matter of time before I found it but it had me concerned for a short while.


It is now in Source control not to be lost again.
It was not alot of work to go missing but still enough for me not to want to do it again.
Back up your work to more than 1 place.

No comments: