Sunday 5 April 2015

Interpretation - A stylistic representation of a creative work

So this is a subject I want to cover... And I am keen for a few to understand.

Over the many years I have been working on this project I have gathered a huge amount of resource.
It has been fascinating to see and understand how the network grew, worked and then slowly closed down.
Seeing once wonderful stations and buildings go to ruin is sad, I also struggle to understand why a number of key buildings were not kept, the powers that be seemed very short sighted.

Anyway, I picked my time period, 1950 till the closure of most the lines in 68.
My network is all open and all stations open for travel even if they would have been closed in that time period.
When anomalies get pointed out to me, I more often than not know if the choices I made were artistic or not. Our subject matter is all about detail and for the most part I love it, but for something to move on artistic compromises are made, but it's ok I am at peace with that. :)

To sum it up a little better, This is more of a painting than a photograph. If I thought something spoiled the view, i'd delete it, Bosh!

I know this may be heresy to a small number but I did not make it for those small few. I made this for myself mostly.

What started out as me wanting to make my home town train station 9 years ago ended up in a very complicated and detailed network that is great fun to drive.

d

5 comments:

Geoff Potter said...

Hi Derek

My personal view is that whilst you are good on detail, I think you also are a great impressionist (what do I know!) and have the ability in some of your paintings, to use little to convey much. Train Simulator routes are a mixture of detail in places and near detail in others or perhaps pure fantasy elsewhere but it is all about the impression in the end. Give us a few easily recognised landmarks and our imagination will fill in the rest so that we can believe more than we are actually seeing.

I have no doubt that if you have applied your impressionistic skills to this creation then we will be fully immersed in the joy of the route regardless of era differences or skilful deceit with the scenery.

The best things are always worth waiting for. No doubts or explanations are required.

-

Anonymous said...

As long as the scenery reflects the great hills, dales and rivers of West Durham it will look great. A bit of artistic license never went amiss.

I've included below some samples of bridge images which I have for Weardale. Not sure how much detail you want or need for these?

Bridge 16 NZ179301
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/Asheshouse/Weardale%20Railway/P7120846_zps55svwhm7.jpg
Bridge 19 NZ170308
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/Asheshouse/Weardale%20Railway/P7120870_zpsd56gau6f.jpg
Bridge 15 NZ082368
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/Asheshouse/Weardale%20Railway/P8080880_zpsaip0cr2k.jpg

Ashe

Derek Siddle said...

Hi Ashe, thanks for the links. All those bridges are made. My Mam was born is woodside so I have a fond memories of it.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the region but I fully understand your approach. As is often said "memories are always in colour and the present in black and white", and I think that is the way it should be." I have been following your blog since what seems many years!! Now when are we going to be able to drive your route? Keep up the good work Derek.